AMA+ (ART MAJOR ASIAN, K-ARTS) SCHOLARSHIP


I was always looking for other scholarships than KGSP. I found AMA+ last year but deadline was already passed so I couldn't apply. And in 2017 I guess Turkey was not in the list for this scholarship. They just added many country in 2 years. 

So in short, this is AMA+ Scholarship: 

*This scholarship is only for Korean National University of Arts. 

In detail, check the webpage: http://www.karts.ac.kr/en/news/notice_view.do?BB_SEQ=127&RNUM=5


  • Firstly, I thought that I won’t gonna need to apply AMA+ cuz I was really confident for KGSP. And for AMA+, I thought that I don’t have a huge artistic skills to get it. They didn’t have Interior Design major but they have some designs majors and Stage Design. So I was thinking even if I apply to this scholarship they won’t gonna choose me cuz I wasn’t confident with my portfolio. My ideas about the projects that in my portfolia are good but my 3D Skills wasn't good enough to show them. Korea National University of Art is one of the best art school in Korea and this is art scholarship so I thought there would be many talented artist who studied art even from highschool and have more experiences than me.  

So I applied to Sookmyung Women University by KGSP and results came out in 16th May, I couldn’t get it. I thought like everything is finished for me, there was AMA+ but I was sure that I can’t get that. Only 1 week later I got an e-mail from Sookmyung, they said that they are really sorry to see that I couldn’t get the KGSP so they were offering me 100% scholarship only for 1st semester and it only covers tution fee. I could get max. %80 scholarship in next semesters if my gpa is over than 3.7/4.3. It was the only part which is giving me stress like will I able to pass 3.7 every semester… And they have really cheap dormitories and foods are cheap in university cafeteria so I thought maybe I can handle it. I talked with my parents and they said they can support me for 2 years while I’m doing some part-time jobs. Even this was a miracle for me and I accepted their offer.

But I never gave up so I decided to give a try with AMA+. I was thinking atleast its gonna be some experience. 31th May was the deadline so I prepared everything in 2 weeks. There was some parts I got confused like they wanted highschool scores also but I mailed them and they said if you apply for graduate school you don’t need to show them. And they want you to get at least 3 recommendation letters. They say if you recommended by the government, ministries, and diplomatic organizations, rector of public educational institution and/or head of government approved organizations could receive additional admission points. So since I had a less time I only could get a letter from our Vice-Head of Department. And finally, I had already my portfolio and I printed that in A4 size since I need to send it in the A4 size envelope. 

This is what they wanted for Stage Design: 

Only a few majors need to have interview, I didn't have it. 

What I had when I apply:

➢TOPIK 5

➢ IELTS 6.5

➢ GPA 3.1/4.0

➢ 1 year exchange student in Poland

 ➢ 2 months internship in Italy

➢ Internship in Korea (not related with my major, but lived in Korea for 9 months)


The most important thing was which major I was going to apply. There were Product Design and Stage Design. I started to search about Stage Design and I just fell in love! It was exteremly related with Interior Design. It was even better than it and I was thinking I wish I could study this  major even if I can’t get the scholarship but it was little imposible since I was going to Sookmyung already. I wrote Self Introduction and Study Plan again and I guess I made a nice explanation about the Interior Design and Stage Design relation. So I sent my documents when 1 week left. I sent a mail if my documents arrived but they didn’t reply so I asked my Korean friend to call and ask but they said it’s imposible to check it since there are many applications, they can’t find it.

So I just sent it and didn’t even wait for results :D I didn’t even know when the results were coming out, I was busy to complete my documents for Sookmyung. I just knew that they will send mails to succesful applicants. Then I got a mail in 1st of July and almost had a heart attack! But they were asking me to send some drawings by hand as soon as possible :'D The commitee wanted to see them so even that staff sent me a message on Facebook, he said if my file is too big you could send by Facebook. There were only 3D projects in my portfolio that I sent to them so they wanted to check my hand drawings also. So I sent them my old portfolio that I prepared on wordpress. I didn’t know what type of drawings they wanted but I showed them interior projects that I drew with my hands in university. After this mail I got some hopes like they were really considering my application?!?!? I checked the K-Arts website and it was written that results will come out in 15th July. But still I had any worry or hope cuz I didn’t have good sketchs or somethings I just had some perspectives, some plans and section drawings and 2 models.

I checked the page in 15th July and they published our names like this:





And they said they will contact with grantees by e-mail in 16th July. I was like…. That name is me…. Right?!?! Like it’s absolutely looks like my name and major is also same but I was still couldn’t believe cuz it was such a impossible scholarship for me! They publised it in this way because maybe they were trying to protect our privacy. 

Then the mail arrived next day:




I got it! I got the AMA+ 2020. Finally I will be able to study under a fully funded scholarship in my dream country and get my dream job! 

I hope this post can help to next applicants, I tried to share my experience unfortunetly I don't know exactly why they chose me but I suggest to people who wanna study art in Korea to prepare your best and try it! 

If it’s help you, please leave comment! :) And find me on instagram and ask if you have questions!  _iameda_










Comments

  1. Hi, first of all thank you for sharing your experience! I wanted to ask if there is a chance to get this scholarship for the second degree? I have already bachelor degree in Business Administration and minor degree for tv and cinema but I really wanna study film making more in depth. Do you think I can pass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea atleast you have minor degree about something related with film making and if you have some work experiences then it would be perfect! Just prepare what they want for film making major and explain it really well in your self introduction why you prefer to study this rather than business. Good luck! 😊

      Delete
  2. Oh congratz!!! I am happy to meet with another scholar yay! 😄 I was totally same and still I check the mail again and again sometimes to make myself believe that its true hahah Please add me on instagram and lets keep in touch and help each other for the next process! 😊😊 add me -> _iameda_

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seninle Instagram ve Facebook'tan iletişime geçmiştim. Ama buradaki yazını görmemiştim. Burada bu burs ile ilgili yazdıklarını yeni keşfettim :) Çok faydalı oldu, çok teşekkürler gerçekten:) Merak ettiğim bir şey var. Nisan'da Topik sınavı olacak, sonuçları ise 21 Mayıs'ta açıklanacak. Fakat resmi sonuç belgesinin gelmesi uzun sürer sanırım. Sınavın sonucunu resmi sitesinden kendimiz çıkartıp belgelere eklesek sorun olur mu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rica ederim :)
      Zaten topik belgelerinde kisiye ozel bi barkot oldugu icin siteden cikti almaniz yeterli, bende oyle cikti alip basvurmustum~
      Bol sans diliyorum😊

      Delete
  4. I have something to asked about Ama+ scholarship Because I have a little bit confused.

    But what if I'm still studying here at my country, taking of Bachelor degree and I'm a first year student college, can I apply a scholarship? Is it okay, Or do i need to finish my studies before I get scholarship to study there? And what document do I need to pass, my highschool graduate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can a KGSP scholar apply for this scholarship?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving your journey so far 💜
    I have a few questions about design.
    Do they offer fashion design. I couldn't find it but still I wanted to confirm??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do they offer for graphic design or illustration course. I want to know for bachelor course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I am worring about my grades , as there are no eligibilty for grades but still people are only accepted with good grades . I only have 50% as I studied bussiness and was never intersted to do so but i want to apply for photography now > I do have relevent interest to show them but still I am so cofused with the grads

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts